These days, bathroom décor leans towards sleek and chic. People are favoring a linear simplicity, rather than an overly adorned and accessorized space. If you’re looking to redesign your bathroom with an eye towards these features, here are a few design ideas to help get you started.
1. Cabinetry – Again, the trend is toward clean, crisp and streamlined furniture. To create a lighter and sleek bathroom environment, consider cantilevered cabinetry secured to the wall. Consider adding strip lighting to the bottom side of the cabinet; this casts a warm glow to the floor below. You can provide additional built-in wall-to-wall storage elsewhere in the bathroom to compensate for the reduced storage in the vanity area. Deep dark rich woods evoke a sense of warmth to the clean lines of contemporary design.
2. Fixtures – Crisp clean and sleek white fixtures speak to the contemporary/modern design. If space allows, introduce one of the hottest trends: a free-standing bathtub. They are available in all shapes and sizes, and nothing creates a more dramatic focal point in the bathroom than an exquisite free-standing tub. Position it in front of a spectacular picture window with a breathtaking view as the backdrop.
3. Surfaces and Materials – Utilize solid surfaces for countertops, whether quartz, limestone, granite, concrete or glass to give them a clean contemporary look. Keep the edges simple and square for easy maintenance and sophisticated style. Always introduce an interesting backsplash material in contrast to the counter top color and material. It creates instant architecture and adds great detail and drama to the space. Glass tile, mosaic, stone or ceramic details are just a few of the highly decorative backsplash products out on the market today that create a sense of modern style. Consider tile shapes that are rectangular, oversized, or small mosaics to create detail in the pattern of the application.
4. Luxurious Shower – Create a steam shower with multiple rain heads and body sprays. You might also want to contemplate adding a built-in bench and access panel to hide the steam system. Design a full seamless glass enclosure from floor to ceiling and finish the interior with complimentary mosaics or stone tile to set it apart from the rest of the space. This glass enclosure creates a more visually open space within the overall space.
5. Accessories – Remember to keep clutter and display to a minimum. Accessorize with towels in a bright color. Keep everything to a minimum and clutter free. Select chrome, nickel or silver toned drawer/door pulls, towel bars, towel hooks and paper holders for sparkle. Frame vanity mirrors in woods or silver tones, in similar finishes to the other accessories adorning your modern bath.
These few tips will give your bathroom a complete and sleek makeover, creating an airy and inviting space.