The white picket fence is the classic symbol for the American dream. You may not think about your fence on a regular basis, but keeping this structure in tact is essential. Fences not only increase your home value and curb appeal, but they also add privacy and guard family pets. Without a properly working fence, a lot can go wrong. As the weather becomes sunny, and activities move to the outdoors, make sure your home is ready. Here are a few techniques to start off your summer fence maintenance…
- Power Washing – renting a power washer works for all fence surfaces. It’s a high pressure way to get rid of seasonal grime and stains.
- Scrubbing – wood and wire fences can be cleaned simply by scrubbing with a tougher scrub brush. For this you want to use a mild detergent or a diluted bleach mixture (16 parts water to 1 part bleach).
- Vinyl Fences – these need careful attention. Only use a washcloth when cleaning them to avoid damage. Also, be wary of using harsh chemicals as they may stain the fence.
- Wood Rot or Leaning
- Dig out the post
- Chisel away the old concrete footing
- Realign or cut out rot
- Place back in ground and pour new concrete footing
- For fences that lean, adding a sister post, a support hammered into the ground and drilled into the original post can help in avoiding future leaning issues.
- Drooping Gateway
- An anti-sag kit will be the best solution. All parts are included in theses kits, just follow the instructions to install. It will essentially form more tension on the side of the gate to keep it from sagging.
Fence maintenance can be an all-day if not all-weekend activity. Save your summer free time for the fun activities! Handyman Matters is here to restore or install fences to suit your home’s needs. Call today for a free estimate – 866-FIX-MY-HOME.