In this day and age, independent living as a senior is an achievable goal. Similar to updating appliances as a kitchen grows older – walkways, bathrooms, and steps should also adjust to fit your age. If your current environment doesn’t match your needs, update it! Here are some of the home modification essentials to begin aging in place.
- Grab Bars – Secure railing isn’t just for steps, it’s for senior living. Add a grab bar to your areas of need to stabilize a slope, help you maneuver in a cramped space, position you to be able to stand up, or provide balance in a slippery scenario.
- Raise/Lower – Things like kitchen cabinets shouldn’t be a challenge to reach, especially when they can be lowered. Same thing goes for seating. Rise easily from a seating position with raised chairs and appliances.
- Lift Chairs – Experience the first floor, the basement, the second floor and beyond by installing a lift chair in your stairway. These motorized chairs can securely transport you to all areas of your home so that you don’t have to sacrifice space for mobility.
- Standing Tub – The idea of a bath to someone with limited mobility may seem impossible – but it’s not! Standing tubs are a wonderful addition to any bathroom as they allow you to stay upright while still being able to be submerged in water.
- Widening Doorways – Senior living can often mean living with a walking aid. Maybe it’s not you but instead your friend who travels by wheels. Entertain with ease by making sure everyone can navigate through the doorway by wheelchair, walker, or otherwise.
- Installing Ramps – Steps into and out of your home can be the scariest part of independent living. Give yourself some relief by replacing steps with a gradual ramp.
Let your home remain your home by adjusting it to fit your age. Handyman Matters has craftsmen skilled in the area of aging in place, and who can update your home in a tasteful, effective manner. Senior home modifications can improve safety, quality of life, and even increase the value of your home. Call us today for a free estimate at 866-FIX-MY-HOME.